Autor Tópico: Noticias no mundo das Corridas de Cavalos  (Lida 26613 vezes)

Almighty

• HighRoller
  • A
  • Estado:
  • Registo: Fev 2008
  • Localidade:
    Pts Tipsr:
em: 06 de Junho de 2009, 05:11
« Última modificação: 02 de Maio de 2010, 03:29 por PedroL »

Almighty

• HighRoller
  • A
  • Estado:
  • Localidade:
    Pts Tipsr:
em: 06 de Junho de 2009, 05:12
Colorado State University to study drug’s impact on horse racing

Questions over whether furosemide, which helps horses run faster, has medical benefits

Colorado State University researchers are conducting a large study to see whether a commonly used anti-bleeding drug for horseracing that makes horses run faster actually has any medical benefit.

The drug, furosemide, is widely used to limit the amount of bleeding that horses experience when racing. Racing horses often finish a course with blood in their trachea, although the amounts vary, according to researchers.

While previous tests have shown that horses treated with furosemide tend to run better, there’s no solid evidence the drug actually limits the bleeding, said CSU veterinarian Paul Morley.

The study will be conducted in South Africa, where the use of furosemide on race days is banned. Race-day use is permitted in the United States and Canada, however.

“It is possible that performance is improved by preventing of minimizing lung bleeding in these horses, but it is also possible that improved performance is caused by other drug effects, such as transient weight loss,” Morley said in a statement announcing the study.

Under the study, researchers will conduct four days of racing at the Vaal Racecourse in South Africa, racing each of 200 horses in two five-to-eight furlong races, once treated with furosemide and once without.

While the races are being run specifically for the study, purses will be offered to simulate a “real” race.

Almighty

• HighRoller
  • A
  • Estado:
  • Localidade:
    Pts Tipsr:
em: 07 de Junho de 2009, 21:13
Summer Bird soars past Mine That Bird

It was Summer Bird, not Mine That Bird and jockey Calvin Borel, who came roaring down the long stretch and won the final jewel of the Triple Crown on Saturday.

For a brief moment on the turn for home, Borel looked like a winner. His tough little gelding took the lead, and even Borel believed his victory guarantee was assured.

"I thought I was home free," he said, "but the other horses galloped by."

They sure did.

With the crowd of 52,861 cheering on the leaders in the stretch, Mine That Bird passed Dunkirk. But it was Summer Bird who pulled away from them both for a 2 3/4-length victory, with Dunkirk second and Mine That Bird a neck back in third in the field of 10 3-year-olds

The upset ended Borel's bid to become the first jockey to win a personal Triple Crown, and he failed to deliver on a guarantee of victory in the Belmont Stakes. Borel won the Kentucky Derby aboard Mine That Bird, then took the Preakness with the filly Rachel Alexandra.

Summer Bird, sent off at 11-1 odds, gave jockey Kent Desormeaux a Belmont victory he desperately wanted.

"I hope from now on we'll talk about winning one," Desormeaux said.

Last year, he won the Derby and Preakness aboard Big Brown, only to have to pull up the colt in the Belmont. And in 1998, he brought Real Quiet into the Belmont for a Triple try only to get beat by Victory Gallop by a nose in a heartbreaking defeat.

Charitable Man was fourth Saturday, followed by Luv Gov, Flying Private, Brave Victory, Mr. Hot Stuff, Chocolate Candy and Miner's Escape.

There was an inquiry filed by Charitable Man's jockey Alan Garcia against Dunkirk for interference, but it was disallowed by the racing stewards.

The winning time for the 1½ miles was 2:27.54.

The Triple Crown season ended the way it started -- with an upset. Mine That Bird was all but discounted in the Derby, but won at 50-1 odds -- and his 6 3/4-length winning margin was the largest in 63 years. Two weeks later, Borel was obligated to ride Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness for new owner Jess Jackson, and the filly beat Mine That Bird by a length.

In the Belmont, Mine That Bird was sent off as the 6-5 favorite, but he seemed a bit more frisky than usual in the paddock and on the walk through the tunnel to the track. And he was a little too eager in the race, pulling Borel into contention sooner than anyone expected.

"He might have been a hair higher today coming in here, just a little more amped up," Mine That Bird trainer Chip Woolley said, "but overall he was the same horse I led up in the Derby. He ran a great race and just got beat, and you have to accept that and go on."

Summer Bird, meanwhile, looked almost regal before the start. The chestnut son of 2004 Belmont winner Birdstone -- yes, the same sire as Mine That Bird -- took the rail route usually the trademark of a Borel ride before breaking outside and into the clear.

"The colt broke like a rocket," Desormeaux said. "He absolutely dragged me around the race track. I had an armchair ride until I found some room. I found room."

Summer Bird won the Belmont in just his fifth career start. Owned by Drs. Kalarikkal and Vilasini Jayaraman, the colt did not run as a 2-year-old. In his third start, he was a closing third in the Arkansas Derby and came back and was a closing sixth in the Derby -- 13 lengths behind Mine That Bird.

Summer Bird, trained by the recently licensed Tim Ice, returned $25.80. $9.30 and $4.70. Dunkirk paid $5.40 and $3.60, and Mine That Bird returned $2.60 to show.

Ice seemed stunned by his colt's accomplishment, which came on the trainer's 35th birthday. As he walked into the postrace news conference, he was serenaded with a rendition of "Happy Birthday."

"Right now it's just unexplainable," he said. "If my career goes nowhere from here, I've got a Belmont win."

Once again, the "Test of the Champion," prevented a little Triple Crown history. While a Triple Crown wasn't on the line for a horse, Borel was certain he'd pull off an unprecedented Triple of his own.

But for now, the Belmont remains a race usually reserved for long shots. The favorite has won only six of the last 30 runnings of the longest and most grueling of the Triple Crown races.

"He was tired. He was used, but he looked all right," Woolley said. "We're a little down, disappointed right now. He ran a great race. It's been a lot of fun. We'll give him a good eight weeks off and let him freshen up."

Forum de Apostas

Re: Noticias no mundo das Corridas de Cavalos
« Responder #2 em: 07 de Junho de 2009, 21:13 »

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Registo: Set 2008
  • Localidade: London, UK
  • Nacionalidade: gb
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 07 de Junho de 2009, 22:24
Belmont Contenders Post-Race Statuses

Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Summer Bird obviously loves New York. He loves it so much that he could return this summer to run at Saratoga Race Course in the Aug. 1 Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) and the Aug. 29 Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I).

“We’ve discussed the Jim Dandy and the Travers with the owners (Drs. Kalarikkal and Vilasini Jayaraman),” said winning trainer Tim Ice, his voice still hoarse Sunday morning from cheering Summer Bird home in the June 6 race. “If we go, like we did for the Belmont, we’ll go ahead of time, ship up a month before the Jim Dandy.

“People tell me you have to go to two places–Del Mar and Saratoga,” said Ice, who took out his trainer’s license 14 months ago. “I’ve been to Del Mar, and to take a horse like this and go to Saratoga would be amazing.”

Summer Bird, who was making only his fifth career start in the Belmont, came out of the 1 1.2-mile race in great shape, said Ice.

“I had him grazing for two hours,” he said. “He looks great.”

Ice, who celebrated his 35th birthday Saturday, said he thought there were several factors that contributed to Summer Bird’s victory, which was the second of his brief career.

“He had five weeks off, the horse is maturing, the jockey (Kent Desormeaux) is a Hall of Famer who knows Belmont Park and was our best shot, and I’m glad I came here early,” he said. “It took the horse a week to get used to the track. After I saw him train here the first three days, I put toe grabs on him (in back), and of course right after the Derby we were going to put blinkers on, and he was up closer.

“He’s done nothing but give me confidence,” he added. “When he two-minute-clipped on (June 3), he put confidence in me.”

Summer Bird, a homebred son of 2004 Belmont Stakes winner Birdstone  , will leave New York June 8 and be flown to Louisville. From there, he will be vanned to Louisiana Downs in Bossier City, La., which is Ice’s home base.

“I have about 25 horses there, and I picked up two new owners just in the weeks I’ve been here,” said Ice. “This whole thing is unbelievable. Watching the horse come down the stretch was like an out-of-body experience.”

Meanwhile, while the mood at trainer Chip Woolley’s barn was somewhat subdued the morning of June 7, his star gelding Mine That Bird showed no signs of exhaustion for his impressive effort running third in the Belmont Stakes June 6.

“He feels awful good this morning,” said trainer Chip Woolley “Awfully bright and bouncing– he’s ready to get out and go do something.”

One look at the little gelding walking around the barn, peering inquisitively at the small crowd gathered outside bore this statement out. His trainer, stretched out in a lawn chair complete with footrest and cup holder for coffee, admitted a touch of fatigue.

“Talk about whipped,” Woolley said. “About halfway through dinner last night I just said ‘Guys, I’m done,’ and I’m not that type at all. I couldn’t believe how I hit a wall last night.  I never thought I’d be sitting here sort of down about running third in the Belmont–this has been a lifetime dream.”

Although he is understandably disappointed by the loss, Woolley keeps it in perspective.

“When he was making for the lead as they turned for home, I was thinking ‘We’re in trouble,’” Woolley said. “It was just too early to make the lead here and I was really concerned we’d used a little too much horse in the turn. If you move too early with this horse, his past history shows he comes up empty. Tim (Ice) is a great guy and he deserves to win.  He’s done a nice job with his horse.”

Mine That Bird may not have come home a winner June 6, but his trainer is as impressed as ever with the son of 2004 Belmont Stakes winner Birdstone.

“There’s only one 3-year-old this year who made it through all three of these races and was right there all three times,” Woolley said. “The horse showed up every time. He’s the same horse he was when I led him over to the Derby, and I’m in love with what I saw here.”

Mine That Bird will ship back to Churchill Downs at 6 a.m. June 8, and Woolley said they planned to spend the week in Kentucky and was still discussing Mine That Bird’s future with owners Mark Allen and Dr. Leonard Blach. He hopes to get two good races into the gelding before the Breeders’ Cup World Championships in November.

“We’ll see what fits his schedule best,” Woolley said. “I’d rather keep him on dirt and against other 3-year-olds. It may be a couple of days before we make a hard decision, and we’ll for sure give him eight weeks off now. There’s a lot of opportunity out here (on the East Coast) more than anything out West, even in California.”

Woolley also named the Jim Dandy or the Travers among the options he was considering for Mine That Bird, but said the welfare of the horse would dictate his next move. 

Belmont Stakes second-place finisher Dunkirk also showed no signs of fatigue the morning of June 7 at trainer Todd Pletcher’s barn. Dunkirk set the pace through a mile before dropping back, then coming back again to finish ahead of Mine That Bird by a neck.

“He put in a big effort and was tired after the race,” Pletcher said. “His energy levels seem to be up. He was bright and alert this morning. I was proud of his determination. It looked like at the quarter pole he was going to be surrounded by the Derby winner and the Peter Pan winner (Charitable Man), but he fought back. I have to give him a lot of credit for doing something like that.

The Belmont was the fifth start for the $3.7 million son of Unbridled's Song  . Since winning his debut less than five months ago in Florida, Dunkirk won an allowance race and ran a game second to Quality Road in the Blackberry Presents the 58th running of the Florida Derby (gr. I) March 28.

“We felt back as far as November he was a top-class horse,” Pletcher said. “When he broke his maiden in January, we were thinking about races like this. He’s still probably a race behind his schedule.”

Pletcher’s goal for Dunkirk is also the Travers, as well as the Jim Dandy.

“The Travers is a key race for us,” he said. “The question is how we are going to get there. It’s going to be either the Jim Dandy or the Haskell Invitational (gr. I, Monmouth Park, Aug. 2). We think it’s ideal to give him two months of spacing in between races. The 3-year-old picture is still open. We’ll have to see if someone steps up and strings a couple of victories together.”

Trainer Kiaran McLauglin, though disappointed with Charitable Man’s fourth-place finish in the Belmont, said the horse came back in relatively good shape.

“He got nicked up a little, but otherwise, he’s okay,” McLaughlin said. “I said before the race that I wouldn’t trade places with anyone, and I still feel that way. He is a nice horse. I think the race track had a speed bias and the complexion (of the race) changed a lot when Dunkirk went to the lead.”

McLaughlin said he would regroup and look to races like the Jim Dandy, Travers, or Haskell.

Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito said both of his Belmont Stakes runners–seventh-place finisher Brave Victory and 10th-place finisher Miner’s Escape–were doing well the morning of June 7, although he admits that Brave Victory was particularly lucky.

“He got jumped on, and there is a gash on the back of his knee,” said Zito holding his thumb and index finger about an inch apart. “He missed nicking his tendon by this much.

“Miner’s Escape never had a chance. He stumbled and got squeezed at the start and Dunkirk got the jump on him. I don’t know if we’re ready for the big races later this summer, but those are the ones we like to run in. We’ll give them some time and see where they take us.”

Trainer Eoin Harty was still disappointed in Mr. Hot Stuff’s eighth-place finish in the Belmont. Mr. Hot Stuff, who was showed promise with third-place finishes in the April 4 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and the Feb. 28 Sham Stakes (gr. III), raced close to the pace before fading after a mile.

“It didn’t work out to what we had expected,” Harty said. “We’ll take him back to California, start him easy, and see if he shows up again.”

Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, trainer of ninth-place Belmont Stakes finisher Chocolate Candy, has already returned to California but reports that the horse is doing well. Chocolate Candy is scheduled to ship out of Belmont June 8. 

Almighty

• HighRoller
  • A
  • Estado:
  • Localidade:
    Pts Tipsr:
em: 08 de Junho de 2009, 17:46
Top four come out of Belmont ok

The first four finishers from Saturday's 141st Belmont Stakes all came out of the race well, all will get a bit of a breather before returning later this summer, and all will be pointed to major 3-year-old races, their respective trainers said Sunday morning at Belmont Park.

Summer Bird, who scored the upset victory in the Belmont, and Mine That Bird, who finished third as the favorite, both will be flown from New York to Kentucky on Monday morning. Summer Bird will then take a van ride to Louisiana Downs, while Mine That Bird will, at least for a week, remain at Churchill Downs.

Dunkirk, who finished second, and Charitable Man, who was fourth, both are based at Belmont Park and will remain here until resuming their campaigns in a couple of months.

Tim Ice, the trainer of Summer Bird, said training at Belmont Park for three weeks, having five weeks between starts, the addition of blinkers, and a heady ride from Kent Desormeaux were the ingredients in a winning recipe.

"The colt put a lot of confidence in me," Ice said Sunday morning. "The last two weeks, he gave me nothing but confidence. The whole thought was to get here early to give us our best shot."

Ice said specific plans for Summer Bird had yet to be finalized, but his season-ending objective is to get to the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting, though he wasn't sure if Summer Bird would be best suited by the 1 1/4 miles of the Classic, which is on a synthetic surface, or the 1 1/2 miles of the Turf. Summer Bird has not raced on a synthetic surface, nor turf.

"The main thing is to have a fresh horse," Ice said. "He was a lot better horse with five weeks between races."

Dunkirk was "tired" Sunday morning, trainer Todd Pletcher said.

"He gave us everything he had," Pletcher said.

Pletcher said "the Travers is our main goal this summer. The question is how we go about getting there. Most likely he'll come back in the Jim Dandy, but we'll play it by ear."

The Jim Dandy is at Saratoga on Aug. 1. The Travers is at Saratoga on Aug. 29.

Mine That Bird was in better shape Sunday morning than his trainer, Chip Woolley, who said he was worn out from the Triple Crown grind.

"I made it anyway," said Woolley, who has to get around on crutches after badly fracturing his right leg in a motorcycle accident. "It's pretty tough on people. It's a little easier if you've got two good legs. It hit me like a bomb last night. I can roll right along. But it sure showed up last night."

As for Mine That Bird, who won the Kentucky Derby and was second in the Preakness, Woolley said he was "bright and bouncing" Sunday morning.

"He looks like he made it through this in good shape," Woolley said.

Woolley said Mine That Bird would remain at Churchill Downs through Saturday, when Mine That Bird's connections are presented with their Derby trophies on Stephen Foster Day. After that, a decision will be made on where Mine That Bird prepares for his next start. Woolley is based at Sunland Park in New Mexico.

Woolley said Mine That Bird would be pointed for the Breeders' Cup Classic, with ideally two starts before then, "on dirt and against straight 3-year-olds," he said.

Mine That Bird moved earlier in the Belmont than he did in the Derby and Preakness, which Woolley said may have been due to Mine That Bird being uncharacteristically unsettled during the day. Though he had seemingly taken all his travel and racing in stride, on Saturday Mine That Bird was animated when leaving Woolley's barn for the security barn, and then, hours later, when walking over from the security barn to the paddock.

"It might have been having those three races back to back," Woolley said. "It's been fun, though. The horse showed up every time. I'm happy. It's been a good time. Now I'm ready for some rest."

Charitable Man had "a couple of little nicks," trainer Kiaran McLaughlin said, but otherwise was fine. Charitable Man had to check inside the furlong pole. The stewards conducted an inquiry into the stretch run, but no change was made.

"He ran well," McLaughlin said. "The last furlong he got squeezed, and it cost us some ground, but I don't disagree with the call. He was kind of empty after a mile and three-eighths."

McLaughlin said Charitable Man would come back in either the Haskell, on Aug. 2 at Monmouth, or the Jim Dandy, then go for the Travers.

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 08 de Junho de 2009, 18:21
Jim Dandy, Travers could be on Bird's summer schedule

Belmont S. (G1) winner SUMMER BIRD (Birdstone) could return to New York during the summer to run at Saratoga Race Course in the August 1 Jim Dandy S. (G2) and the August 29 Travers S. (G1).

"We've discussed the Jim Dandy and the Travers with the owners (Drs. Kalarikkal and Vilasini Jayaraman)," winning trainer Tim Ice said, his voice still hoarse Sunday morning from cheering Summer Bird home in Saturday's 1 1/2-mile race. "If we go, like we did for the Belmont, we'll go ahead of time, ship up a month before the Jim Dandy.

"People tell me you have to go to two places -- Del Mar and Saratoga," said Ice, who took out his trainer's license 14 months ago. "I've been to Del Mar, and to take a horse like this and go to Saratoga would be amazing."

Summer Bird, who was making only his fifth career start in the Belmont, came out of the "Test of the Champion" in great shape, according to Ice.

"I had him grazing for two hours," the conditioner said. "He looks great."

Ice, who celebrated his 35th birthday Saturday, said he thought there were several factors that contributed to Summer Bird's victory, which was the second of his brief career.

"He had five weeks off, the horse is maturing, the jockey (Kent Desormeaux) is a Hall of Famer who knows Belmont Park and was our best shot, and I'm glad I came here early," Ice explained. "It took the horse a week to get used to the track. After I saw him train here the first three days, I put toe grabs on him (in back), and of course right after the Derby we were going to put blinkers on, and he was up closer.

"He's done nothing but give me confidence," he added. "When he two-minute-clipped on Wednesday, he put confidence in me."

Almighty

• HighRoller
  • A
  • Estado:
  • Localidade:
    Pts Tipsr:
em: 08 de Junho de 2009, 19:57
Murtagh lodges appeal against Royal Ascot ban

JOHNNY MURTAGH has lodged an appeal against the five-day ban he received at Epsom that rules him out of the last two days of Royal Ascot.

The Ballydoyle stable jockey will challenge the severity of the penalty he received after Friday's Investec Coronation Cup in which his mount Frozen Fire was found to have interfered with Buccellati by allowing his horse to drift to the rails 'without correction'.

If Murtagh succeeds in having the ban reduced to four days or less the suspension will be moved to start on June 21 when there is no Group 1 race in Britain.

Jamie Spencer received the same punishment for careless riding on Sariska in the Investec Oaks, after she weaved across the course up the home straight in the process of winning, causing problems for sixth-placed Phillipina and Rainbow View, who ran fourth.

However, the former champion will not be appealing and will still miss the Friday and Saturday of the royal meeting.

Three-day bans beginning on the Sunday after Royal Ascot were handed to Seb Sanders and Ryan Moore at the same meeting, which Sanders will appeal but Moore will not.

Dates for the appeal hearings have yet to be confirmed.

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 08 de Junho de 2009, 23:35
Magical Fantasy Conjures Gamely Surprise

Magical Fantasy had much to do under Alex Solis to win the $319,000 Gamely Stakes (gr. IT), but she proved equal to the task, edging Visit and Diamond Diva in the final couple of jumps in a terrific finish on the Hollywood Park turf May 30.

Winner of the Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) by a nose in her last start for trainer Paddy Gallagher, the 4-year-old daughter of Diesis earned her second grade I victory by a neck in a stirring stretch drive.

Racing near the rail rounding the final turn with five horses to pass, Solis slid the agile filly through a seam to put her position to challenge the leaders on the outside in upper stretch. Under encouragement, Magical Fantasy unfurled her long strides from there and gradually pulled to even terms with the leader, Diamond Diva, ridden by David Flores, in deep stretch.

Visit, rallying between horses under jockey Brice Blanc, was right there as well as the trio hit the wire with Magical Fantasy getting up by a neck. Visit got the place spot by a nose over the 2-1 choice Diamond Diva. The late-charging Black Mamba, the 5-2 second choice in the well-matched field of nine, ran out of room and finished fourth, 1 1/2 lengths behind the winner. The final time for the 1 1/8-mile test of fillies and mares was 1:48.18.

"She's such a professional, you can do anything you want with her," said Solis, who has ridden her regularly. "She's really game and she's getting better and better.

"We had a great trip. At the top of the stretch I thought I had a good chance to win the race and I just wanted to make sure that I moved steadily and not make one strong move. I was afraid of Black Mamba coming late, but I never saw her."

Winner of the Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) by two lengths last August at odds of 42-1, Magical Fantasy has really blossomed in her last two starts under Gallagher's tutelage. The gorgeous chestnut began the year with two losses to the top-notch filly Life Is Sweet on Santa Anita's Pro-Ride track before returning to the turf for the 10-furlong Santa Barbara, a race she won while overcoming much trouble by a nose over Black Mamba. In spite of that huge effort, she was sent off at odds of 6-1 in the Gamely.

"She doesn't seem to get the respect. I feel a little like Rodney Dangerfield," joked Chuck Winner, who owns Magical Fantasy in partnership with David Bienstock and Paul Mandabach. "But she always gives her all. She's really maturing this year. She has a wonderful stride. When we went over to England (to purchase her), I liked the way she moved, I liked everything about her. We picked her out of the group. She's special."

Magical Fantasy improved her career mark to four wins and four seconds in 15 starts. She has earnings of $649,231 after grabbing the winning prize of $196,800.

Carrying co-high weight of 123 pounds, Magical Fantasy rated in seventh early as 28-1 shot Ainamaa took the early lead from Diamond Diva, crossing over in front of that one heading into the clubhouse turn. Magical Fantasy remained unhurried as Solis angled her toward the inside after fractions of :24.23, :48.74 and 1:12.31.

Diamond Diva, pulling early while stalking the pacesetter, made a bid for the lead from between horses leaving the turn to get a narrow advantage in upper stretch. She fought all the way down the lane with Ainamaa, Toque de Queda, and Visit, who pressed between rivals from the eighth pole. Magical Fantasy then arrived on the outside and the first three finishers slugged it out from there with little between them.

"Alex put her in a great spot all the way," Gallagher said. "He knows her probably better than the rest of us. It was an exciting race to watch.

"We’ll probably space out her races, we’ll see if there’s something here or at Del Mar. She seems to run good with just a little bit of time in between races."

Black Mamba was followed home by supplemental entry Lemon Chiffon, Toque de Queda, Modification, Ainamaa and Foxysox. Tuscan Evening and Bel Air Sizzle scratched.

Bred in Kentucky by Rodes S. Parrish and Charles Beach IV, Magical Fantasy is out of the Easy Goer mare Kissing Gate.

Sent off as the fourth choice, the winner paid $14.20, $7 and $4.40 while topping a $2 exacta worth $147.40.

Juddmonte Farms' Visit, making her strongest U.S. showing in six starts for trainer Bobby Frankel, returned $9.20 and $5.60.

"Bobby told me she might be a little keen but she settled down beautifully and finished nice," Blanc said of the runner-up.

Diamond Diva, second in last year's Gamely, was $3.20 to show in her second start following a 10-month layoff for trainer James Cassidy.

"I thought she was going to be ready but she was still a little short," Flores said. "We were going real slow early and she picked it up at the top of the stretch. This is probably the race that will get her ready for next time."

[youtube=425,350]Kz3fKsrOmag[/youtube]

:venia: :venia:
« Última modificação: 08 de Junho de 2009, 23:36 por jmmp »

Forum de Apostas

Re: Noticias no mundo das Corridas de Cavalos
« Responder #7 em: 08 de Junho de 2009, 23:35 »

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 09 de Junho de 2009, 20:33

Surgery for Belmont runner-up Dunkirk

Belmont Stakes runner-up Dunkirk is set to have surgery for a non-displaced fracture of the left hind cannon bone.

Trainer Todd Pletcher said he expects the son of Unbridled's Song to return to racing some time in the fall.

Dunkirk finished 11th in the Kentucky Derby and came back to run second this past Saturday in the Belmont Stakes. He battled Mine That Bird for the lead heading into the stretch, only to be passed by eventual winner Summer Bird. He held on for second, 2 3/4 lengths behind the winner.

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 16 de Junho de 2009, 18:24

Friesan Fire Recuperating

Friesan Fire, the favorite in this year’s Kentucky Derby (gr. I), is recuperating nicely from surgery, his co-owner said.

The 3-year-old colt, by A.P. Indy  —Bollinger, by Dehere, is owned by Tom Simon’s Vinery Stables in partnership with Rick Porter’s Fox Hill Farms. He is convalescing at Vinery near Lexington.

Winner of the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) and Risen Star Stakes (gr. III), Friesan Fire ran 18th in the Kentucky Derby and 10th in the BlackBerry Preakness Stakes (gr. I). An injury was subsequently discovered in his left front leg.

Today (June 15) was the first day he was out of his stall,” Porter said. “He had two weeks of stall rest, will get two weeks of hand-walking, and then we will re-radiograph. If Dr. (Larry) Bramlage is OK with the progress at that point, we will send him to Ocala (Fla.) for four weeks to get on the Aquatread.”

Porter said Bramlage, of Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington, repaired a hairline fracture in the bottom of the cannon bone in Friesan Fire’s left front ankle May 29 and inserted one screw. Also, a chip was removed from the colt’s right front ankle.

“He’s at Vinery, is recovering well, and the plan is to return him to training,” Porter said.

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 18 de Junho de 2009, 22:53
Barbaro's brother heating up

[youtube=425,350]_VqceB2o9WY[/youtube]Nicanor, the three-year-old brother of 2006 Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, recorded his second consecutive victory Wednesday at Delaware Park. The colt posted his first career win last month at the historic track.

Owned by Lael Stables, the full brother to Barbaro notched Wednesday's win in a 1 1/8 mile allowance race on the turf. His maiden victory in May was also on the turf. In that effort he ran away to win by more than 15-lengths.

In his first three career starts at Gulfstream Park, the Mike Matz trainee had two seconds after finishing off-the-board in his initial start on January 31.

In his latest winning effort Nicanor was ridden by Rosie Napravnik and was sent off as the 2-5 favorite in the eight horse field. Leading the entire way, he covered the 1 1/8 miles in 1:52.95 on a firm course.

On Saturday at Delaware Park, veteran trainer Larry Jones will be honored for his accomplishments and dedication to racing. Jones is best known as the trainer of such thoroughbreds as Hard Spun, Eight Belles and Proud Spell.

"It is a privilege for any racetrack to have a trainer of the stature of Mr. Larry Jones with his base of operation at their facility," said Executive Director of Racing John Mooney. "Mr. Jones brings high caliber and quality horses to Delaware for several prominent owners and breeders such as Mr. Rick Porter's Fox Hill Farm, Vinery Stable, Brereton C. Jones and many others including his wife Cindy.

"He has been very supportive of Delaware Park racing providing not only stakes caliber horses, but also competitive horses in all levels of our program. We wish him the very best and truly hope he will continue to race and train his horses even beyond this year especially at Delaware Park."

The special tribute will include the fourth race being named in Jones' honor as the J. Larry Jones Tribute. A presentation of a trophy will occur immediately after the race in the winner's circle.

Jones trained Hard Spun to win the 2007 Lane's End Stakes and second-place finishes in the Kentucky Derby and Breeders' Cup Classic. He was also the trainer of the filly Eight Belles who ran to a second-place finish in the 2008 Kentucky Derby before tragically collapsing after crossing the finish line.

Also last year, Jones conditioned three-year-old filly Proud Spell who won the Kentucky and Delaware Oaks and was voted the Eclipse Award as the three-year- old filly of the year.

This year Jones trained Friesan Fire to victories in the Risen Star Stakes and Louisiana Derby. The colt was made the 7-2 favorite for the Kentucky Derby, but finished 18th in the 19 horse field
« Última modificação: 18 de Junho de 2009, 23:03 por jmmp »

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 18 de Junho de 2009, 22:58
Rachel Alexandra headed for Mother Goose Stakes

Preakness Stakes winner Rachel Alexandra will make her next start in the $300,000 Mother Goose Stakes at Belmont Park on Saturday, June 27.

Majority owner Jess Jackson made the announcement in a statement released on Wednesday. The 1 1/8 mile Mother Goose will be the filly's first start since her historic victory in the Preakness at Pimlico Race Course on May 16.

"Rachel is rested, healthy and ready to run," Jackson said. "On Monday, she turned in a very strong six-furlong work, galloping out seven-furlongs around the clubhouse turn in 1:24.80."

Rachel Alexandra destroyed the competition in the Kentucky Oaks this year by better than 20-lengths. Currently on a six race winning streak, the three- year-old has career earnings of $1,618,354 with eight wins in 11 starts.

"She's got a great presence about her," trainer Steve Asmussen said on Monday. "She always seems to take everything in stride so well. She comes back so sure of herself."

Calvin Borel has been her regular rider during the win streak and is expected to be in the saddle for the Mother Goose. Borel this year won the Kentucky Derby aboard Mine That Bird, but switched to the filly for the Preakness Stakes.

Currently stabled at Churchill Downs the filly will arrive at Belmont Park early next week.

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 19 de Junho de 2009, 23:15
Owners reject bid to buy Mine That Bird

Kentucky Derby champ Mine That Bird will remain in the care of trainer Chip Woolley for the foreseeable future after an offer to purchase the three-year-old has been rejected by his owners.

Woolley stated Friday that Mark Allen of Double Eagle Ranch and Dr. Leonard Blach of Buena Suerte Equine declined the purchase offer for Mine That Bird.

"After considerable thought, Mark and Doc made the decision not to sell," Woolley said. "I'm happy. I spent 25 years looking for this horse and I sure didn't want to lose him."

The identity of the potential buyer was not revealed nor was the size of the offer.

Mine That Bird went to the Churchill Downs oval Friday morning with regular exercise rider Charlie Figueroa. Woolley plans to keep the gelding at Churchill Downs four more weeks before shipping to Mountaineer Park for the West Virginia Derby on Saturday, August 1.

"I'd like to get him up there (Mountaineer Park) early enough to have two breezes over the track," Woolley said. "We may leave around (July) 16th or 17th to give him time to gallop once there before he works."

"I have had limited experience running horses at night, but if I had one running, I'd like them to see the lights. I took a horse to Remington Park one time for trials and he never had seen lights. When he went to the gate, he was just looking up and when they sprang the latch he was not ready. The whole way down the lane he had his head up and never straightened it out to look ahead."

Mine That Bird won the Run for the Roses as a 50-1 longshot. Two weeks later he fell a length short of winning the Preakness Stakes when the filly Rachel Alexandra led wire-to-wire. In the Belmont Stakes the gelding made a valiant effort only to finish third to his half-brother Summer Bird.

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 22 de Junho de 2009, 05:07
Eye of the Leopard gains Queen's Plate victory

[youtube=425,350]ehHR7t__H98[/youtube]

Post-time favorite Eye of the Leopard caught pacesetter Mr. Foricos Two U right before the wire to capture Saturday's 150th edition of the $1 million Queen's Plate at Woodbine Racecourse. The 1 1/4 mile race for Canadian-bred three-year-olds is Canada's premier thoroughbred event.

Owned by Sam-Son Farm, Eye of the Leopard gives his owner its fifth Queen's Plate win and the fourth for trainer Mark Frostad. Sam-Son Farm previously won the Queen's Plate with Dancethruthedawn (2001), Scatter The Gold (2000), Dance Smartly (1991) and Regal Intention (1988).

Mark Frostad won the event in past years with Dancethruthedawn (2001), Scatter The Gold (2000) and Victor Cooley (1996).

The pace in this year's renewal was set by Reservoir and Mr. Foricos Two U. Running in the second group was the filly Milwaukee Appeal, Eye of the Leopard and El Brujo.

Mr. Foricos Two U had a slight lead over Reservoir as the field entered the far turn. Reservoir began to fade around the final turn as Eye of the Leopard joined Mr. Foricos Two U on lead.

At the top of the stretch Mr. Foricos Two U had the lead with Eye of the Leopard and Milwaukee Appeal gaining on the outside. Right before the wire Eye of the Leopard passed the leader and went on to post a neck win. Mr. Foricos Two U held on for second with 3-1 morning-line favorite Milwaukee Appeal finishing third in the 13 horse field.

"He didn't see (Eye of the Leopard) way out there," said Mike Smith, jockey of Mr. Foricos Two U. "I was glad to be here and happy to come back."

Rounding out the order of the finish was the filly Tasty Temptation, Flip for the Coin, Keino West, Shut It Down, Rapid Release, Stardust Ziggy, Bucephalus, Reservoir, Active Duty and El Brujo.

Jockey Eurico Rosa da Silva guided the bay colt through the 1 1/4 miles in 2:03.84 on Woodbine's all-weather main track. It's the first Queen's Plate victory for da Silva.

Sent off as the 2-1 favorite, Eye of the Leopard earned $600,000 with the win. For his career, which began two months ago, the colt has earned $722,078 with three wins in four starts.

Three weeks ago Eye of the Leopard rallied late to take the $150,000 Plate Trial at Woodbine.

With wins in the Prince of Wales Stakes on July 12 at Fort Erie Racetrack and the Breeders' Stakes on August 2 back at Woodbine, Eye of the Leopard would become the first Canadian Triple Crown winner since Wando in 2003.

Eye Of The Leopard returned $6.70, $4.10 and $2.90. Mr. Foricos Two U paid $7.20 and $4.60, and Milwaukee Appeal paid $3.70 for show.
« Última modificação: 24 de Junho de 2009, 13:11 por jmmp »

Juan Mendes

• HighRoller
  • Estado:
  • Pts Tipsr:
em: 04 de Julho de 2009, 01:20
Borel and Mine That Bird to go separate ways

The union of jockey Calvin Borel and Kentucky Derby champ Mine That Bird has come to an end. Borel has decided not to ride the three-year-old in the West Virginia Derby.

Trainer Chip Woolley and the gelding's owners, Mark Allen and Dr. Leonard Blach, could not get a commitment from the jockey to ride Mine That Bird in the August 1 race. Borel has agreed to ride Warrior's Reward in the Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga on that Saturday. Borel will be aboard the colt in this Saturday's Dwyer Stakes at Belmont Park.

Following the Kentucky Derby victory Borel switched to the filly Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness Stakes. Borel won the Preakness with the filly and then regained the mount on Mine That Bird for the Belmont Stakes. Borel and the gelding finished third in the final jewel of racing's Triple Crown.

Woolley, Allen and Blach have not yet decided on a jockey for Mine That Bird for the race at Mountaineer Park.

Casas de Apostas: bet pt / Betclic / ESC Online / Nossa Aposta / Casino Portugal

Rede Apostaganha: Apostas e Prognósticos / Palpites e Dicas de Apostas / Pronósticos de Apuestas / Betting Tips and Predictions / Melhores Cassinos Online Brasil / Mejores Casinos Online de América Latina